How many times have you stood in front of the mirror and said, “Can I wear black and navy together?”
Wearing black and white together is a no-brainer. And black and gray, especially a heather gray look chic. But why not make a statement by pairing black with navy? When you wear black and navy together your outfit has a timeless, sophisticated flair.
The old “rule” about not wearing black and navy together is total nonsense. If you’ve ever found yourself staring in the mirror asking, “Can I wear this navy blazer with these black pants?” or “Does this black sweater look OK with jeans?” You’re not alone.
I’m going to introduce you to a beautifully timeless color palette to use as your guide, so you’ll never again have to ask, “Do black and navy really go together?”
Most neutrals look awesome together. White and beige. Black and white (my favorite). White and navy. These colors make up the foundation of our wardrobes, so it’s only natural that we’d wear them together. Right?
Black and navy blue look ultra-sophisticated together, in a single garment or mixed in a head-to-toe outfit. And, the dark palette will elongate you just like a monochromatic outfit.
The Wear Black and Navy Rules of Thumb
The trick with looking fabulous in black and navy is to wear these colors together with intention, not an after thought. So, how can you accomplish this?
- Have at least one main piece that’s black and one main piece that’s navy. Don’t just throw on a navy accessory with a black dress, it needs to look intentional.
- If you want to add in accent colors, keep them neutral – white, grey, rose pink are all great accent colors.
- Be sure that the navy piece you’re wearing is obviously navy, and not one of those, “Is this navy or black?” things in your closet.
Follow these three rules of thumb and your black and navy outfit will always look timeless and chic and by no means after thought.
The Color Palette to Wear Black and Navy Together
Now that I’ve hopefully made my case that you’ll look great wearing black and navy together, let’s elevate the color palette! These are three points that I considered when was thinking of the best black and navy color palette…
- Which third color would real effortlessly elevate the black/navy combination? When I wear black I either tend to wear it with all black, or add something white — so if I were wearing a navy jacket with black trousers, I would pair it with a white top.
- Is there an accessory that mixes black and blue? For example, wearing a black sheath dress with a navy blazer and adding a black and navy scarf, hmmm…I see a new scarf collection on the horizon.
- What colors do most women already have in their closets? Let’s not have to go out and buy a lot of clothing piece just to make this black/navy ensemble work, right?
This is the color palette I landed on that would always make black and navy look effortlessly elevated. Our black and navy as the base colors and to add a third color for interest…rose pink (a color that look great on everyone), heather gray, and/or white.
This is How You Wear Black and Navy: 3 Outfit Ideas
Just in case you didn’t get my hint above or you’d like to know more about the scarves I’m wearing (that tie black and navy together so elegantly)…I will be introducing a new scarf collection created around the concept of mixing black and navy and looking effortless elevated. Be one of the first to know when the new scarf collection is available by joining the INSIDER list now!